Thursday, March 13, 2008

Toxic Hill

The more this campaign goes forward the more I wonder if anyone will vote for Hillary besides unreconstructed 2nd-wave feminists and fossilized geezers if she should finagle the nomination. I mean, I know she's pissed me and half of Obama's supporters off, and that's one thing. But she's managing to alienate longtime die-hard Dems, too. As this reader to TNR illustrates:
I am what's called a SuperVoter. Having been born in Boston, I learned to "Vote Early and Vote Often." That is, I vote in every primary, local election, etc. I have voted for no one but Democrats for at least thirty years--I believe that we are a wealthy enough nation to be compassionate. I have been involved in politics for much of that time, including stints as a lobbiest(non-profit) and high-level appointment of two governors, not having campaigned for or against either of them. I have been in the room plenty of times watching the sausage get made that is getting elected and then governing. Though I supported her for all of 07 and into January of 08, I have never witnessed a lower Democratic campaigner than Hillary Clinton. It's ugly and its not coming from both campaigns equally, but from hers primarily. Very ugly. Very unfortunate. And, I'm sorry, but let me say it again: Very ugly.

No comments: