Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Oh, Yeah…

There was another speech last night. McCain's. I thought it was god-awful. He's just a terrible orator. (And who's decision was it to use a bright green backdrop? It looked more like a golfing event.) 

Anyway, as I said, I thought it was a bad speech and poorly delivered. But then, I would, wouldn't I? He's the opponent of my preferred candidate. And I've thought many of Bushes speeches were atrocious only to see them lauded in the media. So I didn't exactly trust my opinion to be objective. 

But it turns out I was right. It was just a leaden, boring speech. How do I know? Even conservatives are bashing it. DKos has reax here. 

One example from the National Review:
McCain's speech was creaky, ungracious, and unnecessary. I never understand why politicians don't take the opportunity, when so easily presented, to simply be gracious and hold their fire. Watching McCain, I couldn't help but think of the astonishing contrast Barack's triumphant speech to a massive and adoring crowd will be. It was not a comparison McCain should have invited.

It would have been more statesmanlike ‹ precisely the profile McCain is attempting to craft ‹ to acknowledge this historic moment in American politics. A major party is on the cusp of selecting an African American to be their nominee for President of the United States. It's a tribute to America that we've come this far. It would have been magnanimous to leave it at that, and wait until tomorrow to declare with enthusiasm and relish, "It's on!"
Update: "We're just trying to lower expectations." TPM has a humorous video roundup of reviews:



Bonus: Notice Harold Ford (D-Tenn.) at the very end of the clip, praising the clip. What a knob. A prime example of what the moribund DLC has to offer the party. Sheesh.

No comments: