Friday, February 29, 2008

Those Damn Obama Videos

Without a doubt he's had the best viral vids of the season. I mean, Clinton's are so bad they not only make me want to tear my ears off, but are near-universally made fun of. Obama's are fairly well done and millions of people have viewed them and love them. 

But still, I've had my reservations. Contra everyone else in the Obamaverse, I didn't really like the incredibly popular "Yes, We Can" vid. One reason I didn't bother posting it was I hated the mix, which was too muddled for my taste. But there was something else I didn't like about it, which I couldn't quite put my finger on. Until, that is, reading this e-mail from one of Sullivan's readers at the Daily Dish:
Those videos make me, an ardent Obama supporter, much LESS inclined to like him or his campaign. I am past needing cheesy songs and celebrities to confirm my political beliefs or philosophy. I don't think I'm the only one that finds them mildly offensive. "Oh Jessica Alba is a Barack supporter? The Fantastic Four was so good. I'm definitely going to vote for him."

I think it tarnishes his image as a uniter since it once again seems to be a statement about privilege, about power, access and fame.
Besides being awful music, these videos sully that notion [of community] and seek to separate the tiers of Obama supporters into the masses and the beautiful celebrities. They strike exactly the wrong note for me. And it's annoying. They feel, in fact, Clinton-esque in their self-satisfied, pseudo-hip cloying preening. [Emphasis mine.]
That pretty much sums it up for me. Here's the latest, by the way:

No comments: