Sunday, January 27, 2008

Thank G-d For Small Miracles

A case of male genital mutilation gets temporarily postponed. To find out what the recipient, a 12-year-old boy, would prefer to do with his body.

A brief sketch of the story from The Oregonian:
A divorce dispute over whether to circumcise a 12-year-old boy will be decided Friday by the Oregon Supreme Court.

The nationally-watched case pits a father who converted to Judaism and wants his son to undergo the religious ritual, against his mother, an orthodox Christian who claims the boy doesn't want to be circumcised.

The case has drawn attention from national Jewish groups concerned that Oregon's highest court will accept Lia Boldt's contention that circumcision is dangerous.

An anti-circumcision group based in Seattle also joined the fray, arguing the safety of the procedure.

James Boldt, a former Grants Pass man who has custody of the boy and lives near Olympia, said his son wants to be circumcised so he can convert to Judaism.
I've been following this story because I feel passionately about genital mutilation. It's a barbaric and abusive practice, especially when performed on the most vulnerable when they have no say in the matter as babies don't. 

If this boy decides it's truly in his heart to be circumsized, that's one thing, though I'd recommend he wait until he's 18 to decide.

Look, I understand the cultural and religious meaning circumcision has. I have a deep respect and love for Judaism and its traditions and am loathe to comment on, let alone criticize, them. 

But I have an vast and abiding abhorrence for this practice in the deepest fibers of my being (just as I abhor female genital mutilation). And I'm happy to hear this court's decision.

No comments: