Saturday, February 2, 2008

The Return of the Ring

Wherein like Isildur of old, I foolishly let slip underwater a ring of power. And like Deagol many years later, Goa recovers it (though unlike Smeagol, I don't kill him for it). 

Speaking of snorkeling, our first attempt at doing so happened Tuesday and was fraught with misadventure.

Though most of Two Step is hardened lava, we ended up laying out our blanket and towels on the small area that does have sand. Shanti decided to hang back with our things while Goa, Annie and I went in for a snorkel. 

We geared up, pulling on our wet suits and defogifying our snorkel masks. Then we eased into the water for 20 feet or so before putting our flippers on. The water was very shallow for quite some time before turning a corner and getting deeper. We had to navigate a bit of a coral maze for fear or either cutting our hands or, worse, touching one of gazillions of urchins. 

Just as we were nearing the bend and deeper waters, Annie and I decide to hold hands. She feels her wedding rings on her finger and notices mine isn't on. She comments that I was smart to leave it in our room, but I don't hear that because I'm frantically looking at my hand to discover that it is, in fact, not there. 

I begin to freak out because, unlike what Annie assumes, I didn't leave it at the house. I had it on before entering the water. Which was stupid and something I'd never do if I'd been thinking about it. But it just slipped my mind (as well as my finger). 

With panic in my voice, I let her know. She tries to calm me down. Assuredly, she tells me it's probably back where we put on our fins, and we begin heading back. But first, we tell Goa so he knows where we went. I tell him it's cool to continue snorkeling (why ruin his good time?), but he insists on coming back toward shore with us. 

The three of us begin scanning near the spot where we estimate we put the fins on. I'm looking, but without much hope. I know we'll never find it. I mean, it could be anywhere and there was tons of coral and sand and rocks for it to be tucked under. Despairing over its loss, I start soothing myself with the idea that I can always buy another, and hell, this time the order was so fresh I can just call it in to the jewelry store from here (this is my second ring, which I just ordered a few months ago). This made me feel better, but not much. I leave the water expecting to never see it again. 

Meantime, Annie's filled Shanti in and Shanti points out to Goa an area where she senses it is. Now, Goa has a story—the details of which I can't remember right now—in which he lost something of great value once while swimming. Will dived in after it, in tremendously cold water, and miracle of miracles, finds it. With visions of karmic debt-paying dancing in his head, Goa enthusiastically heads back out to look for my ring. 

Shanti begins telling me that while she doesn't want to get my hopes up, Goa is really good at finding hard to find things. Well, he may be, I'm thinking, but still...that's a lot of water and a little ring. 

Then she tells me to call the ring back to me. Can't hurt to try, so I start visualizing the ring, both in the water and back on my hand. I'm seeing Goa's hand reach for it and imagining how great it will feel to find it and have it back. But, really, I'm pretty sure it's gone. 

Not five minutes later we hear Goa shout from 200 or so feet out, "Got it!" 

I'm not quite able to believe my ears. 

"What did he say?" I ask.

"Yay! He's got it!" chime Annie and Shanti in unison. 

"No fucking way!" I say, truly out of my mind with wonder.

It's just beyond my ken that he could have found it. I'm filled with an odd mixture of gratitude and disbelief. I truly hoped he'd find it, but really I don't think I believed he would. Or maybe I did. I don't know. What I do know is, my mind was blown. My heart was filled with joy. And my finger had back the ring that fits so perfectly (well, except in cold-ass water apparently). 

For his part, Goa looked proud as can be and was getting hugs and kisses from the ladies for his effort. And righteously so. He was a goddamn hero for me in that moment! And I'm hugely in his debt. Thanks, Goa.


No comments: