Friday, February 8, 2008

Don't Sleep

Well, I was planning on addressing the latest meme I've been tracking about Obama: that his appeal is based solely on emotion. I've got a laundry list of solid, rational reasons to vote for the guy and to back up my assessment that he's the best candidate in the field. But as usual, Andrew Sullivan beat me to it and is more eloquent than I could have been anyway. 

Here's an excerpt from his post:
A meme is developing is that support for Obama is all emotion, fantasy, hysteria, etc. There's no question that the emotions behind Obama are powerful. And any fool can see why. His oratory does what oratory should. He is the greatest public speaker in American life since Reagan.



But the strongest case for Obama is not emotional; it is as coolly rational as he is. I tried to express it in my "Goodbye To All That" essay. On the most critical issues we face - Iraq, the war against Jihadism, healthcare, and the economy - he makes more sense as a president than Clinton. And when you watch the knee-jerk opposition to him, I think it is actually more emotional and less rational than the support for him. Fear is more emotional than hope.



There is no detail in her policy apparatus that isn't matched by Obama's. But you've heard a lot from me on this. Here's a video that shows a conservative cynic being slowly and rationally disarmed by the logic of young, shrewd voter.

A vote for Obama is a vote for reason over sentiment. Check it out:

No comments: