Tuesday, November 4, 2008

We Fucking Did It!

Wow. I'm sitting here in my freshly-empty living room processing the night. I'm dying to go to news sites and other blogs to catch their coverage, but feel the need to post unadulterated, unfiltered. thoughts first.

I'm seriously overcome with emotion and I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm writing this through tears. We did it, people! We did it. We helped elect the 44th president of the United States of America. And not just any president, but a a smart president, a president with a unique blend of brains, heart, and gut to lead this country through one of its darkest hours. 

Oh, yes we can. Fuck, yeah, we can. We just did!

First impressions of the candidates:

John McCain was as gracious in defeat as I'd hoped he'd be on the trail. I'm pretty sure he showed his true colors tonight, not only conceding, but doing so with grace and asking his supporters to do the same. I teared up watching his speech, not only because I can imagine how difficult it must have been for him and his supporters, but also because we live in a country where such a thing is possible. 

Really. There are still many places in the world where such a thing could never happen. I'm proud and I'm grateful.

So thank you Senator McCain for a beautiful, gracious, honorable concession speech. 

As for President-Elect Obama, his speech was gorgeous as well. Perfect for the moment. As eloquent and magnanimous as we've come to expect. I admit I can't remember much of it since the moment of its delivery was so beautifully surreal, but I can recall the way that his words resonated through the spirits of those of us here tonight. 

Thank you, sir, for taking a chance on this country. For recognizing that the moment was ripe. For striking while the iron was hot. For putting yourself and your family through the ringer to help move this country forward. 

I'm so fucking proud and so fucking happy for myself, my friends, and my country right now, I can hardly speak. 

It's a new day, America. 

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

No comments: